Wednesday 20 October 2010

OUGD301: Crit Feedback

This afternoons crit was particularly useful and some strong feedback was received. I'm confident that this was due to the fact that I was able to choose the relevant individuals within my group whose skill sets directly related to the feedback I was seeking.

The most re-assuring element that I gained from the session was that everyone generally agreed that my core briefs suited my proposal and would allow me to carry out my design ambitions. This was a substantial relief as I feel I have spent a considerable amount of time writing them and I know at times you can become so immersed in what you are doing within your own practice you can sometimes overlook certain things.
-
In relation to the brand identities that I am developing (and have nearly resolved at present) there were a few points raised by each group (Ross and Tim)/(Matt and Heather). They were as follows:

Robin Moore Carpentry

+ The 'joinery' of the individual letter-forms was visually engaging and conceptually strong.

- The logo itself doesn't really convey the profession.

Equine Engineering

+ Overall look is expensive which is suitable to the context and profession.

- The discontinued 'EQ' resolution was visually stronger than the chosen identity.

Market Week

+ Effective logo that conveys market week as an important event to attend, however...

- Seems too design led when the brief is client led. Too expensive given the budget?

General

+ Layout is strong and theoretically correct. Nice attention to detail especially with small type.

- Layouts for letterheads etc looking quite similar between the briefs, but they are strong.

- Need to explore stock and end production.

- No hand drawn development of identities present on the blog.

- Need to annotate and evaluate blog documentation.

--

All of the above points are valid and something to evaluate successfully against. I do feel that I have an answer for most of the issues, but it is my own fault for not evaluating thoroughly on my blog. As for the rest, they are definitely topics to think about and make decisions on.

No comments:

Post a Comment